Sunday, June 22, 2008

1.5.12


But the duchess looked at him sadly and said:

"Do not wonder at her beauty, because if Macko does not bring a favorable answer, or if he does not return at all, you will wonder at better things in heaven!"

Then she began to weep as she thought of the uncertain future of the young knight. Danusia wept also. Zbyszko kneeled again at their feet, because his heart became soft like heated wax in the presence of their grief. He did not love Danusia as a man loves a woman, but he felt that he loved her with his whole soul and that the sight of her had such an effect on him that he became like another man, less severe, less impetuous, less warlike, more hungry for love. Finally great grief filled him because he must leave her before he could keep the vow, he made her.

"My dear, I cannot put at your feet those peacock crests," he said. "But when I stand in the presence of God, I will say: 'Lord, forgive me my sins, and give Lady Jurand of Spychow all riches on earth.'"

"You met only a short time ago," said the duchess. "God will not let it be for nothing!"

Zbyszko began to recollect the incident which occurred in Tyniec and his heart was melting. He asked Danusia to sing for him the same song which she was singing when he seized her from the falling bench and carried her to the duchess.

Danusia, although she did not feel like singing, raised her closed eyes toward the vault and began:

"If I only could get

The wings like a birdie,

I would fly

To my Johnny at Silesia!
I would sit down
On the high enclosure:
Look my dear Johnny ----"


But suddenly the tears began to flow down her face, and she was unable to sing any more. Zbyszko seized her up in his arms, as he had done in the inn at Tyniec and began to walk with her around the room, repeating in ecstasy:

"I didn’t only look for a lady in you. If God rescues me, as soon as you grow up, if your father gives his consent, I will take you for my wife!"

Danusia embraced him and hid her face on his shoulder. His grief which became greater and greater, flowed from a freedom loving Slavic nature, and changed in that simple soul:

"I would take you, girl!

I would take you!"

No comments: